What to expect
Nestled in the heart of Paris, the Archaeological Crypt of Ile de la Cité
(also known as the Archaeological Crypt of the Parvis of Notre-Dame) is sure to impress young and old alike. Located under the square in front of Notre-Dame Cathedral
, it invites you to immerse yourself in the depths of history. A true archaeological itinerary, it walks among the many architectural remains left by successive layers of urbanization. From Antiquity to the 20th century, the visit allows you to discover the long adventure of the capital. Gallo-Roman
period with the ancient thermal baths of Lutèce, Middle Ages
with the breakthrough of the Rue Neuve Notre-Dame, the classical period
with the first orphanage built under Louis XV, the Second Empire with the layout of the sewers by Baron Haussmann, the numerous periods follow one another giving to see of the city what is usually invisible, its long urban sedimentation. Punctuating the route, playful characters will explain the mysteries of Paris to the youngest.
Opening hours for the Archaeological Crypt of the Ile de la Cité
Open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 6pm
Closed on Monday, January 1st and May 1st.
Full Price : entry and exhibition 8€
Reduced Price (available only at the ticket office of the museum and upon presentation of a valid proof of idendity and /or valid document proving your situation) :
- Young people aged 18 to 26 inclusive
- Holders of the "Paris Pass Famille" and "Famille nombreuse" cards
- Teachers and documentalists working in schools
- Holders of the Navigo "Améthyste-Emeraude" card
- Members of the Sauvegarde de l'art Français, the Société de l'Histoire de l'Art Français, the Société française d'archéologie and the Société nationale des antiquaires de France
Tickets must be printed. Digital tickets are not accepted and tickets will not be refunded if presented.
Free admission (upon presentation of a valid proof of idendity and /or valid document proving your situation) for: job seekers, social minima holders, art students, archaeologists, INALCO and INP, specific art schools, disabled persons and their companions, war cripples and their companions, young people under 18 years of age, inhabitants of the city of Rome, artists - plastic artists, International association of art critics, Commission du Vieux Paris, lecturers and guides, French and foreign curators, Parisian elected officials, journalists, ICOM and ICOMOS, staff of the City of Paris, artistic press union, Société des amis du musée Carnavalet, employees of the Paris Tourist and Convention Bureau.
Currently at he Archaeological Crypt of the Ile de la Cité
Exhibition The Gold of Power until the end of 2018
The exhibition presents a selection of gold pieces illustrating the historical figures who transformed the fate of the city and their time, in relation to the archaeological remains preserved in the crypt.
Tips for visiting
- For security reasons, access to the museum and the cloakroom is forbidden to any type of suitcases, as well as large travel bags or backpacks. Small travel bags or backpacks smaller than A3 only (height 42cm x width 29.7cm) are accepted in the locker rooms.
- Tickets must be printed. Digital tickets are not accepted and tickets will not be refunded if applicable.